DOJ Granted Access to Classified Documents Seized from Mar-a-Lago
Summary from AllSides News Team
The Department of Justice has been granted access to continue reviewing classified documents seized during the warrant search of Former President Donald Trump’s Florida residence, Mar-a-Lago. The decision from a federal appeals court is the latest development in the legal showdown that has waged since the FBI conducted the search early last month.
The appeals court stated that “it would be difficult, if not impossible, for the United States to answer these critical questions if its criminal investigators are not permitted to review the seized classified materials.” This development allows for the DOJ to continue their investigation into the Former President and determine if the classified materials were compromised or exposed, which they have argued in court is a national security threat that requires immediate attention.
The decision was made in tandem with the ongoing review of the seized materials by an appointed special master, Raymond Dearie, a former federal judge in Brooklyn. Dearie will continue his review of the roughly 11,000 seized documents, however around 100 documents bearing classified markings will be removed from the review and handed over to the Department of Justice.
While coverage of the Mar-a-Lago raid has so far been extensive, this latest development in the legal saga was covered more so on the left and largely ignored by the right. Coverage across the spectrum has consistently made note of the judges involved, specifically which Presidential Administration appointed them.
Featured Coverage of this Story
From the RightCourt lifts judge's hold blocking DOJ from using classified documents found at Mar-a-Lago
An appeals court on Wednesday granted the Justice Department's request to block a hold by U.S. District Court Judge Aileen Cannon related to the seizure of sensitive documents at former President Trump's Florida estate.
The ruling by the three-judge U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit said that Cannon mistakenly prevented federal prosecutors from using 100 documents with classification markings as part of the criminal probe.
"It is self-evident that the public has a strong interest in ensuring that the storage of the classified records did not result in...
From the LeftAppeals court lifts hold that prevented Justice Department from using classified documents in Mar-a-Lago probe
A federal appeals court said Wednesday that the Justice Department can resume using classified documents seized from former President Donald Trump’s Florida estate in its criminal investigation.
The Justice Department had appealed a ruling this month by U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon, a Trump appointee, that temporarily barred it from reviewing and using the seized materials for investigative purposes.
The appeals court panel, comprised of two Trump appointees and one Obama appointee, thoroughly rejected Trump’s position on the classified documents and parts of Cannon’s reasoning for issuing her original order....
From the CenterDOJ Scores First Win in Trump's Classified Documents Case
The U.S. Department of Justice (DoJ) has scored its first win in its case investigating Donald Trump's potential mishandling of classified records after leaving office, after a panel of appeals court judges granted its request to be allowed to examine classified documents seized from the former president.
Last month, the FBI raided Trump's beach club and home Mar-a-Lago in Florida, seizing thousands of files, 103 of which were marked as classified, including 54 labeled secret and 18 labeled top secret.
Trump has denied mishandling the sensitive materials and said that...