The Daily Caller's AllSides Media Bias Rating™ is Right.
Table of Contents
- Feb. 2021 Editorial Review: Daily Caller Retains Right Bias Rating
- Feedback to AllSides from The Daily Caller: Feb. 2021
- Jan. 2018 Editorial Review: Daily Caller Moved from Lean Right to Right
- About The Daily Caller
Feb. 2021 Editorial Review: Daily Caller Retains Right Bias Rating
The AllSides team, which is made up of people from the left, center, and right, reviewed The Daily Caller in a Feb. 11, 2021 Editorial Review. The team unanimously agreed that Right remains the appropriate bias rating for The Daily Caller.
We examined The Daily Caller for the common Types of Media Bias, looking at content from the last 6 to 8 months, and found that the Daily Caller did many things right — such as sourcing from both sides, writing relatively balanced body text for its articles, and clearly labeling and distinguishing between News, Opinion, and Analysis content. It displayed bias mostly via story choice, as it clearly focused on stories typically seen as being more of interest to conservatives. It also displayed some sensationalist word choice in its headlines and slant toward the right; left-wing perspectives and viewpoints weren't featured on the site at all.
AllSides found that The Daily Caller didn't generally display many of the types of bias, meaning it largely appeared to display sound journalistic practices, such as citing of sources, making it a legitimate right-wing news source. The Daily Caller appeared clearly biased toward conservative values and perspectives. We saw balance in the reporting, as the reporters appeared to indicate they had reached out to both sides and didn't use super charged language in their prose. Its story choice and presentation were largely on the Right.
Some examples of sensationalist word choice included (emphasis ours), "'NO KNEELING': Trump Slams Drew Brees For Apologizing Over Pro-Flag Stance", "Tucker Blasts Health Care Professionals Who Signed Letter Exempting George Floyd Protests From Coronavirus Restrictions," and "Biden Gets Smashed Among Hispanic Voters In Florida, Georgia And Ohio." Words like "slam," "smash," and "blasts" are noted by AllSides as sensationalism/emotionalism.
Some examples of right-wing story choice included content such as criticisms of Chinese political influence in the U.S., content about Hong Kong sovereignty demonstrators, content skeptical of critical race theory and the woke left; and content about Big Tech censorship and cancel culture toward conservatives.
During the Summer 2020 riots/protests in numerous U.S. cities following the death of George Floyd, The Daily Caller typically focused on the violence and destruction seen in those cities, unlike outlets that AllSides rates as center and left-wing, which either did not report on this or painted a sympathetic view of the protesters.
One reviewer who has a Lean Left bias said they were "impressed" with how the Daily Caller reported on the Capitol Hill storming of Jan. 6, 2021, noting that their reporting was not aplogetic of the rioters but was straightforward.
We noted some subjective opinion stated as fact, such as an article that stated, "Teachers' unions are among the most aggressive advocates for requiring teacher vaccinations."
It should be noted that AllSides conducted this review because we had not reviewed The Daily Caller in years, despite them being on our AllSides Media Bias Chart™. A review was triggered when a Daily Caller editor reached out to us; the editor did not state nor imply that he wanted us to change the rating, just that he wanted to discuss how AllSides does things. This brought to our attention that we had not conducted a review since 2018. Our review confirmed our current rating of Right.
Feedback from The Daily Caller: Feb. 2021Following our Feb. 2021 Editorial Review in which AllSides opted to keep The Daily Caller's rating as Right, editors sent us some feedback arguing they are Lean Right. AllSides found this feedback worthy of publishing and consideration (though we stand by our rating of Right):
1. Site was exceedingly responsible to Biden throughout the campaign and post-election period including: first-ever editorial board piece defending him during the Tara Reade accusations; investigative reporting debunking allegations that Joe Biden benefitted from Hunter's financial deals; acknowledged and referred to President Biden as President Elect as soon as AP called it; debunked the election fraud misinformation in literally hundreds of news stories; and published second-ever Editorial Board piece denouncing the Capitol rioters.
2. We published dozens of fact checks defending President Biden and VP Harris from right wing misinformation online
3. Founder and Publisher posted editorial that led the site praising Biden’s inaugural address: https://dailycaller.com/2021/01/21/patel-conservatives-should-embrace-the-presidents-solid-inaugural-message/
DC also noted its Two Sides section, which features competing perspectives on an issue, and stated that "the idea that we are devoid of left-wing perspectives is also plum not true," pointing to these pieces: NICHOLS: Biden Is Governing Like The Unifier America Needs, NICHOLS: Democrats Will Prevail In The Georgia Senate Runoffs, and CALABRESI: Trump Should Be Convicted By The Senate.
DC also stated:
Our coverage has included record levels of fact checks posted about election fraud misinformation. Our coverage culminated in a rare Editorial Board piece leading the site and calling for harsh punishments for the criminals who stormed our Capitol. Other highlights:
- Aggressively Covered Outlandish Claims by Attorneys Lin Wood and Sidney Powell: 1, 2, 3
- Extensive Coverage of the Losing Legal Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
- Explainer on how fraud is prevented specific to mail-in ballots
- Piece pointing out that the lawsuits (at least at the time) struck a markedly different tone from what Trump team claimed
- Small sampling of media hits and straight news covering failed challenges from the Trump team: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14.
AllSides provides this feedback from The Daily Caller as part of our commitment to dialogue and transparency.
Jan. 2018 Editorial Review: Daily Caller Moved from Lean Right to Right
The Daily Caller was initially rated Lean Right. AllSides voters were split on whether this was the correct rating. In order to analyze further, AllSides conducted an Editorial Review with people across the political spectrum. The team concluded that The Daily Caller is Right, and the rating was changed on January 10, 2018.
Feb. 2021 Editorial Review: Daily Caller Retains Right Bias Rating
About The Daily Caller
Founded in 2010 by Tucker Carlson, a 20-year veteran journalist and Fox News commentator, and Neil Patel, former chief policy advisor to Vice President Cheney, The Daily Caller is a 24-hour news publication providing its audience with original reporting, in-depth investigations, thought-provoking commentary and breaking news. Since its founding, The Daily Caller readership has grown to more than 20 million unique visitors per month. The Daily Caller also offers mobile apps and newsletters that provide users with more content.
The Daily Caller is a for-profit, independent news outlet that generates revenue via advertising. The Daily Caller covers a range of issues such as politics, business, world news, entertainment, sports, education, technology, outdoors, and energy.