What does a “Lean Right” media bias rating mean?
A Lean Right bias is a moderately conservative rating on the political spectrum.
Sources with this rating may moderately show favor for at least some of the following:
- Decreasing government involvement in economic issues
- Decreasing federal regulations in general, giving more power to state laws
- Belief that government should be as small and non-intrusive as possible, leaving individuals to make their own decisions
- Personal responsibility
- Freedom of speech
- Decreasing government spending, except for defense spending
- Decreasing taxes
- Preserving the rights of gun owners
- Belief in the sovereignty of the individual over the collective
- Using military force when it protects American interests
- Maintaining strong border security: ensuring all immigrants enter through a legal process and are properly vetted to make certain they are not violent criminals; preventing illegal immigrants from entering or staying in the country
- Rejection of laws that impose unnecessary burdens on businesses/the economy
- Rejection of entitlements and public funding for private needs (like healthcare)
- Outlawing or restricting abortion
- A belief that government should be as small as possible
- Traditional family values
- Aversion to rapid change; belief that tradition and prevailing norms were developed for a reason and contain wisdom that has been handed down and should be preserved
- Preserving the philosophy and rules enshrined in the U.S. Constitution
- Preserving cultural norms, often as outlined in the Bible, through the use of state laws
- Rejection of identity politics, affirmative action, the “welfare state”
- Balanced government budgets and fiscal conservatism
Learn about other types of media bias
What does it mean for media bias to be rated Left, Right, Center, or anything else? These are subjective judgements made by people across the country. Our rough approximation for what each media bias means is here:
See all of our Media Bias Ratings
AllSides has rated the bias of nearly 600 media outlets. Check out all of our Media Bias Ratings here.
AllSides Media Bias Ratings are scientifically driven. We use multiple methodologies to determine bias. Learn more about how AllSides rates media bias.