What does a “Lean Left” media bias rating mean?
A “Lean Left” bias is a moderately liberal rating on the political spectrum.
Sources with this rating may moderately show favor for at least some of the following:
- Government services (food stamps, social security, Medicare, student-loans, unemployment benefits, healthcare, education, etc.)
- Federal laws to protect consumers and the environment
- Federal laws protecting equal rights
- Tax increases on the wealthy
- Government regulation of corporations
- Keeping abortion legal
- Decreasing military spending and intervention
- A belief that the role of government is to provide for its people, to end suffering and contribute to human prosperity
- A belief that government should prevent wealth from concentrating in the hands of a few
- A belief that all humans have a right to healthcare, housing, clean water, a living wage
- A belief that all people deserve help from the state when they have fallen on hard times
- An embrace of empathy, compassion, and tolerance as guiding values
- A belief in the importance of multiculturalism and representation of diverse cultures and races in media, positions of political power, and corporations
- A rejection of social and economic inequality
- Bans on hate speech, i.e., a belief that words can be violent
- A belief in “live and let live,” i.e, that the government should not intervene just because someone is acting in ways someone else does not approve of, provided they have harmed no one else
- A belief that corporations, if left unregulated, may do harm to workers, society and the environment in the pursuit of profit
- A belief in identity politics, i.e., that some groups of people suffer disproportionately greater amounts in society due to identity characteristics, including race, gender, sexual orientation, or religion
- A believe in systemic oppression and a need for the government to step in and rectify the wrongs it has committed (such as Native American genocide, Jim Crow-era laws)
Learn about other types of media bias
What does it mean for media bias to be rated Left, Right, Center, or anything else? These are subjective judgements made by people across the country. Our rough approximation for what each media bias means is here:
See all of our Media Bias Ratings
AllSides has rated the bias of nearly 600 media outlets. Check out all of our Media Bias Ratings here.
AllSides Media Bias Ratings are scientifically driven. We use multiple methodologies to determine bias. Learn more about how AllSides rates media bias.