What does a “Lean Left” bias rating mean?
A “Lean Left” bias is a moderately liberal rating on the political spectrum.
Sources with this rating may moderately show favor for at least some of the following:
- Government services (food stamps, social security, Medicare, student-loans, unemployment, etc)
- Federal laws to protect consumers and the environment
- Federal laws protection equal rights
- Tax increases on the wealthy
- Government regulation of corporations
- Keeping abortion legal
- Decreasing military spending and intervention
The AllSides Bias RatingTM reflects the average judgment of the American people.
We don't use a convoluted mathematical or artificial intelligence model, but instead have regular people representing the broad spectrum of Americans blindly rate the bias of articles. That produces a fair, verifiable bias rating. Learn more here.
Unless otherwise noted, this bias rating refers only to news articles on their web site, not from opinion pieces or what is broadcasted on TV or radio. The opinion writers from the same media source may have different bias ratings, so individual writers often are rated separately.
Do you agree with this rating?
You help make our bias detection engine smarter as time goes on. The more you participate, the more accurate our ratings, and the more sources we can rate.