Trump Shuts Down RNC Proposal to Name Him GOP’s Presumptive Nominee
2024 Presidential Election,Donald Trump,RNC,Republican Party,Citizens United,Nikki Haley,Elections,Voting Rights And Voter Fraud
Donald Trump on Thursday said he did not support a resolution presented to the Republican National Committee to crown him as the GOP’s presumptive presidential nominee even as his rival Nikki Haley continues with her campaign.
The RNC confirmed earlier in the day that it would consider the proposal next week to officially declare Trump the presumptive nominee before 48 states had cast ballots in the primary. Hours after the former president said he didn’t like the idea, the proposal was withdrawn, reports say.
In a Truth Social post, Trump said that while he appreciated the proposal to make him the presumptive nominee, “I feel, for the sake of PARTY UNITY, that they should NOT go forward with this plan, but that I should do it the ‘Old Fashioned’ way, and finish the process off AT THE BALLOT BOX.” “Thank you to the RNC for the Respect and Devotion you have shown me!” he added.
Related Coverage
AllSides Picks
Headline Roundup
USS Abraham Lincoln to Return to US After Reports of Mental Crises, Poor Conditions in Middle East
August 17th, 2026
Headline Roundup
What Do Trump's Vaccine Changes Mean for Back-to-School Season?
August 17th, 2026
Recommended Reading
When Establishment Democrats Dodge a Bullet
Dan Schnur
August 17th, 2026
The Insight
The Insight: Why Flock Cameras are Controversial
AllSides Staff
August 14th, 2026
More News about 2024 Presidential Election
News from the Left
News from the Center
News from the Right
The Times of Israel