AllSides Balanced Search reveals information and ideas from all sides of the political spectrum so you can get the full picture.
Aug 11 2022
“Do you make $75,000 or less? Democrats’ new army of 87,000 IRS agents will be coming for you — with 710,000 new audits for Americans who earn less than $75k.”
— House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, in a tweet, Aug. 9
With a vote scheduled Friday in the House on the big spending package approved in the Senate, the GOP has focused its fire on provisions that would bolster theWashington Post Fact Check
Oct 12 2022
A key US inflation measure due Thursday is set to return to a four-decade high, underscoring broad and elevated price pressures that are pushing the Federal Reserve toward yet another large interest-rate hike next month.
The so-called core consumer price index that excludes food and energy is projected to rise 0.4% in September from the prior month and 6.5% from a year earlier, matchingBloomberg
Oct 12 2022
Former President Donald Trump made a series of faulty comparisons to other past presidents to argue that he was being held to a double standard regarding the FBI’s pursuit of his presidential documents.
Trump accused several of his presidential predecessors of storing White House documents, including ones that were classified, in unsecured warehouse spaces. But all of the examples TrumpFactCheck.org
Oct 01 2022
To the extent he had one, Joe Biden’s core campaign promise was that if he was elected, “nothing would fundamentally change.” In one respect, arguably above all others, that prediction has proven correct: Republicans are still driving the country’s political agenda, even though they are out of power in the White House and Congress.
The GOP has managed to do that for two key reasons:Jacobin
Nov 17 2021
Congress has a public approval rating of 22%, which makes us wonder what the 22% are watching. It can’t be C-SPAN. If they paid attention to this week’s spectacle involving Arizona Rep. Paul Gosar, the 22% are likely to join the other 78%.
Mr. Gosar, a Republican, illustrates the decline of Congress in profile. He tweeted an anime video of the Congressman attacking a character with theWall Street Journal (Opinion)
Jun 23 2022
It’s easy to despair watching Congress debate gun legislation, especially given that even with reforms our country will continue to be saturated in guns. By some counts there are about 400 million guns in the United States. Legislating — particularly given the Senate filibuster — is maddeningly slow and difficult.
Combine that with the GOP’s longtime unwillingness to consider realPaul Waldman
Jan 30 2021
Amid the ongoing debate over a new coronavirus relief package, progressives in Congress are advocating for $2,000 stimulus checks—not just once but every month until the pandemic is over.
More than 50 House Democrats, led by Representative Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, sent a letter to President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris on Thursday urging their administration to backNewsweek
Aug 01 2022
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and five fellow House Democrats arrived in Singapore this morning, the first stop on an Asian tour that may or may not include a controversial stop in Taiwan.
Media coverage of Pelosi’s trip has been tightly restricted, but in a photo released by Singapore’s Ministry of Communications and Information, Pelosi is shown shaking hands with Singapore PresidentWashington Examiner
Dec 01 2020
But the conservative justices might not intervene until it’s too late.
Three weeks before he leaves office, Donald Trump plans to punish states with large immigrant communities by denying them fair representation in Congress. Although this plot violates a bedrock constitutional principle, the Supreme Court may not be willing to nip it in the bud. At oral arguments on Monday, a majoritySlate
Oct 20 2022
Former Vice President Mike Pence had this to say on Wednesday night when asked if he would vote for Donald Trump in 2024, if his former boss were the Republican presidential nominee: "There might be somebody else I'd prefer more."
Speaking at Georgetown University about the future of conservatism, where he also took questions from students, Pence declined to rule out a bid of his ownABC News (Online)