Skip to main content

Disturbing Footage Shows Alleged Shoplifter Was Retreating When Walgreens Guard Killed Him

Violence In America,Crime,Criminal Justice,San Francisco,Bail Reform,Housing And Homelessness

From the Left

Disturbing new footage revealed Monday that Banko Brown, the suspected shoplifter fatally shot by a Walgreens security guard in San Francisco last month, was walking backwards out of the store when a single shot was fired into his chest.

Prosecutors released the graphic clip along with an announcement Monday that Michael Earl-Wayne Anthony, 33, won’t face criminal charges in the death of Brown, a 24-year-old Black man.

The security footage showed Brown and Anthony fighting near the store’s entrance, with the security guard repeatedly hitting Brown before placing him in a headlock and pinning him to the ground. Anthony drew his gun as they broke apart, later telling cops he did so because Brown threatened to stab him, District Attorney Brooke Jenkins’ office wrote in a lengthy report on Monday.

Brown managed to get up, grab a bag of what prosecutors described as “stolen merchandise,” and walk backwards through the entrance while making a brief, sudden movement at Anthony. Less than two seconds later, Anthony fired a single shot from his handgun, and Brown collapsed to the sidewalk outside.

A pair of witnesses quoted in Jenkins’ report recalled seeing Brown spit at Anthony just before the shot was fired. One of those witnesses said “spit, flinch, and shot all seemed to happen at the same time,” the report said.

AllSides Picks

More News about Violence in America

News from the Left

News from the Center

News from the Right