Trump threatens to block ExxonMobil from Venezuela after CEO calls country 'uninvestable'
Energy,Venezuela,Exxon Mobil,Donald Trump
Donald Trump has said he might block ExxonMobil from investing in Venezuela after the oil company's chief executive called the country "uninvestable" during a White House meeting last week.
Darren Woods told the US president that Venezuela would need to change its laws before it could be an attractive investment opportunity, during the high-profile meeting on Friday with at least 17 other oil executives.
Trump had urged the group to spend $100bn to revitalise Venezuela's oil industry in a meeting less than a week after US forces captured and removed Venezuelan president Nicolás Maduro from power in a brazen overnight raid.
Related Coverage
AllSides Picks
News
Tracking Trump’s Campaign Promises
AllSides Staff
August 13th, 2026
Red Blue Translator
Fracking
Headline Roundup
Ukraine Continues High-Volume Long-Range Drone Strikes Against Russia With Attacks on Moscow, Rostov, Samara
August 16th, 2026
The Insight
The Insight: Why Flock Cameras are Controversial
AllSides Staff
August 14th, 2026