Here is what we know about the unidentified objects shot down over North America
Defense And Security,Chinese Spy Balloons,White House,US Military,Canada,Justin Trudeau,NORAD
A high-altitude object was shot down near Lake Huron on Sunday afternoon, marking the fourth time in just over a week that the US military has taken down objects in North American airspace.
On Saturday, an unidentified object was downed over northern Canada, a day after another object had been shot down over Alaska airspace by a US F-22. Last weekend, a Chinese surveillance balloon was taken down by F-22s off the coast of South Carolina.
Thereโs no indication at this point that the unidentified objects have any connection to Chinaโs surveillance balloon, but it seems that national security officials across the continent remain on edge.
Democratic Rep. Elissa Slotkin of Michigan said Sunday that the operation to down the object near Lake Huron was carried out by pilots from the US Air Force and the National Guard.
CNN initially reported that the object was shot down over Lake Huron based on what sources said to CNN and a public tweet by Republican Rep. Jack Bergman of Michigan.
Related Coverage
AllSides Picks
Headline Roundup
Why Did Trump Scale Back Military Exercises With South Korea?
August 17th, 2026
Headline Roundup
USS Abraham Lincoln to Return to US After Reports of Mental Crises, Poor Conditions in Middle East
August 17th, 2026
The Insight
The Insight: Why Flock Cameras are Controversial
AllSides Staff
August 14th, 2026
News
Media Bias Alert: UN Accuses Israel of Genocide, Japan to Establish CIA, and More
Malayna J. Bizier
July 23rd, 2026