Kyle Rittenhouse Testified He "Didn't Do Anything Wrong" When He Fatally Shot Two People
Violence In America,Kyle Rittenhouse,Kenosha,Black Lives Matter,Gun Control And Gun Rights,Criminal Justice,Justice
Kyle Rittenhouse, the teenager who shot at protesters in Kenosha, Wisconsin, last year and killed two people, took the stand in his murder trial Wednesday, testifying that he "didn't do anything wrong" and was acting in self-defense.
"I didn't intend to kill them. I intended to stop the people who were attacking me," Rittenhouse said about the shooting on Aug. 25, 2020.
Rittenhouse, who was 17 years old at the time, told prosecutors that he "used deadly force" against the victims because he perceived them to be a threat to him.
"I did what I had to do to stop the person who was attacking me," he said. "Two of them passed away, but I stopped the threat from attacking me."
Rittenhouse is accused of killing Joseph Rosenbaum and Anthony Huber, and wounding Gaige Grosskreutz, at a protest over the police shooting of Jacob Blake, a 29-year-old Black man. He faces two counts of first-degree homicide, one count of attempted homicide, two counts of recklessly endangering safety, and one count of possession of a dangerous weapon by a person under 18. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
Related Coverage
AllSides Picks
Red Blue Translator
Police Brutality
Headline Roundup
Trump Moves to Cut Beef Prices With Import Tariff Waiver
August 22nd, 2026
Headline Roundup
TikTok to Pay DOJ $400M Settlement Over Alleged Child Privacy Violations
August 21st, 2026
The Insight
The Insight: Back to School, Behind on Reading: Why America’s Literacy Crisis Persists
AllSides Staff
August 21st, 2026