Russian mercenaries vow to quit Bakhmut, Ukraine says they are piling in
Ukraine War,Russia,Bakhmut,Yevgeny Prigozhin,Wagner Group
Russia's main mercenary group announced plans on Friday to pull out of the eastern Ukrainian city of Bakhmut, but Ukraine said the mercenaries were reinforcing their positions to try to seize it before Russia marks victory in World War Two day next week.
Wagner Group leader Yevgeny Prigozhin said his men had been starved of ammunition and would expect the army to take their place in Bakhmut next Wednesday, jeopardising what has long been Russia's main target in its attempt to carve up its neighbour.
"My lads will not suffer useless and unjustified losses in Bakhmut without ammunition," Prigozhin said in a video accompanying a written withdrawal announcement addressed to the head of general staff, the defence ministry, and President Vladimir Putin as supreme commander.
The announcement said "bureaucrats" had held back supplies despite knowing that Wagner's target date to capture the city was May 9, when Moscow holds its World War Two Victory Day.
"If, because of your petty jealousy, you do not want to give the Russian people the victory of taking Bakhmut, that's your problem," Prigozhin added in the video.
Related Coverage
AllSides Picks
Headline Roundup
Are Ukraine's Strikes on Russia's 'Amazon' Equivalent Justified and Effective?
August 17th, 2026
Headline Roundup
Ukraine Continues High-Volume Long-Range Drone Strikes Against Russia With Attacks on Moscow, Rostov, Samara
August 17th, 2026
News
Tracking Trump’s Campaign Promises
AllSides Staff
August 13th, 2026
The Insight
The Insight: Back to School, Behind on Reading: Why America’s Literacy Crisis Persists
AllSides Staff
August 21st, 2026