There are moments that bring the world together and help us set aside our differences. Here is one of them.
As of Wednesday, over 41,000 had been reported dead in Turkey and Syria following high-magnitude earthquakes on February 6. The effort to rescue those trapped under rubble united people in the U.S. and around the world; now, those efforts turn toward helping the survivors recover.
The disaster also prompted a moment of bipartisan solidarity in the U.S., with both former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell tweeting messages of support.
My prayers are with the families in Turkiye and Syria mourning the loss of life and the devastation caused by the earthquakes. Let us also salute the brave first responders working to save lives.— Nancy Pelosi (@SpeakerPelosi) February 6, 2023
Americans stand ready to help.
The world is grieving with the people of Turkey and Syria following this devastating earthquake. Praying for all who are mourning and working to rescue survivors. We stand with our NATO ally Turkey and with the Syrian people who already suffer daily under the Assad regime.— Leader McConnell (@LeaderMcConnell) February 6, 2023
News Media Recommendations
News outlets and other organizations published articles detailing recommended ways readers could donate to or otherwise help earthquake victims. Learn more about helping earthquake survivors at the links below:
- International Rescue Committee (Not Rated): How to help after the Syria-Turkey earthquake
- PBS NewsHour (Lean Left bias): How to help victims of the 7.8 earthquake in Turkey and Syria
- Forbes (Center bias): Earthquake Relief: Here’s How To Donate To Turkey And Syria
- Washington Post (Lean Left bias): How to help people affected by the earthquake in Turkey and Syria
- TIME (Lean Left bias): Earthquakes Struck the Heart of the World’s Largest Refugee Population. Here’s How to Help
- Los Angeles Times (Lean Left bias): How to help Turkey and Syria earthquake victims
- Deutsche Welle (Center): How to donate to earthquake aid efforts in Turkey and Syria
- NPR (Lean Left bias): How to make sure your donation will do the most good for earthquake survivors
- Al Jazeera (Lean Left bias): How to donate to Turkey and Syria earthquake disaster response
- NBC News (Lean Left bias): How to help the earthquake victims in Turkey and Syria
- Washingtonian (Not Rated): Here’s How You Can Support Earthquake Victims in Turkey and Syria
- Fox 8 Cleveland (Not Rated): Local Turkish community collecting donations after devastating earthquake
- Global News (Lean Left bias): How Canadians can help victims of Turkey Earthquake
- Yahoo News (Lean Left bias): How to help Turkey and Syria earthquake victims
- New York Times (Lean Left bias): Here’s how to help victims of the earthquake.
- The Guardian (Lean Left bias): Turkey and Syria earthquake: where to donate in the US to help victims
- LiveNOW from FOX (Not Rated): How to help earthquake victims in Turkey and Syria
- The Independent (Lean Left bias): Donate to our Turkey and Syria earthquake appeal
As of this writing, AllSides has found no article directly discussing ways for readers to help from any outlet rated Lean Right or Right.