Headline RoundupDecember 5th, 2022

Attack on Substations Leaves Thousands Without Power in North Carolina

AllSides Summary

An apparent attack on electrical substations in Moore County, North Carolina on Saturday left thousands without power and prompted emergency declarations from local officials.

For Context: Roughly 35,000 homes remained without power Monday morning, according to PowerOutage.us. At a press conference on Sunday, Moore County's sheriff said some substations had been shot at by gunfire in a "targeted" attack. The county declared a state of emergency, issued a curfew on Sunday, and closed schools on Monday. The outages could reportedly last until Thursday, and the FBI is now investigating.

Key Quote: "As utility companies began responding to the different substations, evidence was discovered that indicated that intentional vandalism had occurred at multiple sites," the Moore County Sheriff's Office said in a Facebook post. The sheriff also said Sunday that his office had "not been able to tie anything" to reports that the attack may have been an attempt to disturb a local drag show that was held on Saturday night.

How the Media Covered It: The attack and outages were a top story from news sources across the political spectrum Monday. Left- and center-rated sources often highlighted the possible drag show connection; right-rated sources didn't.

Featured Coverage of this Story

More headline roundups

More News about Energy from the Left, Center and Right

From the Left

From the Center

From the Right