Biden Administration Cancels Military-Funded Border Wall Construction Projects

Headline Roundup May 1st, 2021

On Friday, the Department of Defense announced it will cancel all southern border wall construction projects that were paid for with military funding. In 2019, former President Donald Trump declared a national emergency in an effort to redirect funding to build the border wall. In January, President Joe Biden issued an executive order halting all construction on the border wall so the administration could conduct a review; while that review goes on, the Pentagon said Friday the military funding would be returned to other projects. Pentagon spokesperson Jamal Brown said in the statement that unobligated military construction funds that were "originally intended for other military missions and functions such as schools for military children, overseas military construction projects in partner nations, and the National Guard and Reserve equipment account" will be returned to those projects. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection estimates that since 2019, more than 340 miles have been built in multiple locations along the border using Pentagon funds.

The story received wide coverage cross the political spectrum. Outlets from the left tended to focus on the funds that will be redirected from the border wall back to the Pentagon. Some coverage from center- and right-rated outlets highlighted Republicans who claim the move would be a blow to national security and question its legality; some also noted that the Government Accountability Office is preparing a report on whether the pause is legal under the Impoundment Control Act.

Biden Administration Cancels Military-Funded Border Wall Construction Projects

From the Right
317

The Pentagon on Friday announced it is canceling all border wall construction projects that were paid for by military funding -- part of a broader effort by the Biden administration to cancel the Trump-era barrier.

Biden issued an executive order in January halting all construction projects related to the wall so that a review could take place. More than 450 miles had been built during the Trump administration and approximately 350 miles was already funded -- some of that with money diverted from the Defense Department.

Read full story
From the Left
317

The US Department of Defense said on Friday it was cancelling the construction of parts of former president Donald Trump’s border wall with Mexico that were being built using military funds.

All unobligated money was being returned to military, the Pentagon said.

Trump declared a national emergency in 2019, in an effort to redirect funding to build a wall along the southern border.

Joe Biden issued a proclamation on 20 January, his first day in office, ordering a freeze on border wall projects and directing a review of the legality...

Read full story
From the Center
317

President Biden is canceling projects to build a wall along the southern border using diverted defense funds and will use some funding to counter environmental damage from the wall's construction.

Then-President Trump had diverted billions in defense and military construction funds toward building the wall, using emergency powers after Congress refused to fully fund the project directly.

"Consistent with the President’s Proclamation terminating the redirection of funds for border wall, no more money will be diverted from other purposes to building a border wall," a Biden administration official said Friday....

Read full story