Below is a list of open positions with AllSides. If there are no open positions or no positions that apply to you, but you still are interested in working for us, please send a resume and cover letter explaining your interest and how you could be a good fit.
Weekend News Curator
Part-time · Fully remote · Contract
AllSides is seeking a Weekend News Curator. The ideal candidate is someone with experience in journalism and/or online media who understands the news landscape and has an eye for the biggest stories of the day.
Role Description:This is a remote position that would require roughly 2 to 3 hours of work each Saturday and Sunday, and no more than 10 hours total each week. Hours are flexible, but generally, the brunt of the work should be completed by 2 p.m. ET. The Weekend News Curator (WNC) handles our news operation on the weekends, but is also a valued member of the AllSides team whose input is welcomed and perspective is valued. The WNC would be asked to attend biweekly news team meetings / AllSides editorial reviews, and help review original content created by other team members.
- Curate and post a minimum of 5 news stories each from Left, Center, and Right-leaning media outlets to the AllSides homepage on Saturdays and Sundays;
- Identify the biggest news story of the day and curate diverse perspectives on it for the site's daily "headline roundup.” Write a brief description of the story and how different sides of the political aisle covered it;
- Post the news stories to AllSides’ social media accounts (Facebook and Twitter);
- Write succinct social media copy.
- You’re experienced in journalism and/or online media, and have a keen understanding of and interest in the American media/political landscape; particularly, the fact that many media outlets are biased toward liberal or conservative viewpoints;
- You know how to identify an important news story;
- You have experience with Facebook and Twitter;
- You are passionate about exposing people to a variety of perspectives and getting them out of their filter bubbles when it comes to politics, current events and controversial issues.
Research Assistant and Data Journalist
Part-time · Fully remote · Contract
AllSides is seeking a Research Assistant and Data Journalist to help conduct our media bias research surveys and help us gain data insights for internal analysis and for external reporting on political issues of the day.
The Research Assistant and Data Journalist will primarily work with our Director of Marketing to conduct and analyze data from our media bias research surveys. These Blind Bias Surveys are a core component fueling over 800 AllSides Media Bias Ratings™ — an example of the work the assistant will help with can be found here.
We are looking for someone who is detail-oriented, a critical thinker, and comfortable using spreadsheets and analyzing data to assist in the creation and analysis of our media bias research surveys. The assistant will help to gather content for the surveys and analyze responses using SurveyMonkey and Google Spreadsheets.
The Research Assistant and Data Journalist will also help us to analyze data from Stripe and Google Analytics to help AllSides gain insights into how fundraising content performs on our website in terms of click throughs and donations.
In addition, the assistant will enhance reporting and news writing using data in order to provide a deeper insight, and have the opportunity to create their own data-driven news articles (depending on their interests).
The ideal candidate is a disciplined self-starter who has a keen attention to detail. They should have an interest in surveys, journalism, and how data can be used to gain insights into the American people’s political sentiments as well as company growth.
- Help to compile content from top media outlets for bias analysis;
- Write and promote surveys using SurveyMonkey and Mailchimp;
- Analyze survey and site data using SurveyMonkey, Google Spreadsheets, Google Analytics, and Stripe;
- Keep clean and detailed records of survey development and execution;
- Assist with media bias research surveys for third-party organizations;
- Seek opportunities for using data to enhance news writing.
- Experience with Google Drive, SurveyMonkey, and Google Analytics highly recommended;
- Experience with Stripe a major plus;
- Comfort analyzing and organizing large sums of data in spreadsheets;
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills;
- Self-starter; disciplined;
- Access to a computer and Internet connection;
- Understanding of our polarized political landscape and interest in AllSides’ focus on making media bias transparent and helping people to bridge divides.
Application materials can addressed to our Director of Marketing and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Research Assistant and Data Journalist ” in the subject line.
About AllSidesAllSides.com strengthens our society with balanced news, diverse perspectives, and real conversation. Our mission is to free people from filter bubbles so they can better understand the world — and each other. We expose people to information and ideas from all sides of the political spectrum so they can better understand the world, know more, and think for themselves. Our balanced news coverage, media bias ratings, civil dialogue opportunities, and technology platform are available for everyone and can be integrated by schools, nonprofits, media companies, and more. AllSides fights filter bubbles and polarization by helping people to gain a broader view. We believe diversity in thought and relationships heals divides.
Web Design & Development Internship
Summer 2021 · Paid internship · Part-time · Fully remote
AllSides is seeking a Web Design & Development intern to assist with a number of design improvements on allsides.com. This role reports to our Director of Product.
Qualified candidates must have the following:
- Proficiency in HTML and CSS
- Experience conceptualizing & implementing clean, responsive, user-friendly design
- Knowledge of standard web UI and best practices
In addition, the ideal candidate has superb attention to detail and the ability to solve problems and learn skills independently. AllSides will provide guidance and encourage questions, but the candidate should be able to take specifications for an end result and determine the best way to get there.
Other skills that are appreciated, but not required:
- Experience with wireframing & prototyping tools
- Experience with visual & graphic design for brands, marketing, or publications
- Experience with Drupal or Wordpress
- Familiarity with web accessibility standards & best practices
To apply, please send the following:
- Your resume
- A brief cover letter, as an attachment or in the body of your email. In your letter, please introduce yourself and indicate what your favorite CSS property is and why.
- 2 or 3 interactive examples of web-based projects you have completed. This could be a live site or page, a zip file, or a github link. Do not include still images or mockups.
Application materials can be sent to email@example.com with “Web Design & Development Internship” in the subject line.
AllSides strengthens our society with balanced news, diverse perspectives, and real conversation. Our mission is to free people from filter bubbles so they can better understand the world — and each other.
We expose people to information and ideas from all sides of the political spectrum so they can know more, avoid manipulation, and decide for themselves. Our balanced news coverage, media bias ratings, civil dialogue opportunities, and technology platform are available for everyone and can be integrated by schools, nonprofits, media companies, and more. We also partner with the Mediators Foundation and Living Room Conversations to operate a nonprofit, AllSides for Schools, that provides tools and resources used in classrooms in all 50 states.
AllSides fights filter bubbles and polarization by helping people to gain a broader view. We believe diversity in thought and relationships heals divides. Learn more about us here.